Books, Books, Books...


Though taking care of Chloe is pretty much like having a full-time job, I wanted to do something enjoyable for myself that I could squeeze in during the hours when she is asleep, so I joined a book club.  A bunch of the ladies are from church, which is how I heard about it.  So far we have read one book this year and had our first meeting.

The book we read was The Ladies' Auxiliary by Tova Mirvis, which I really enjoyed.  The book is about a small Orthodox Jewish community in Memphis that has a difficult time accepting a newcomer to their tight knit community, and so much more.  It really teaches so many good lessons like: the destruction that can come from gossip and not accepting those who are different from you, the importance of finding who you are and what you truly believe in rather than just following the crowd, and the value in living your religion in a way that is meaningful rather than just going through the motions. One of the things that I really enjoyed about the book was how much I learned about the Orthodox Jewish religion, it was really interesting.  Anyway, I recommend this book if anyone is interested.  The book I'm reading for February is called The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

5 comments:

Aubrey said...

Oh your little Chloe is getting so big! She is just adorable. You will love The Book Thief - I just read it for my book club and absolutely loved it. I will have to try out The Ladies Auxiliary.

Bec said...

How are your liking the book thief? I am thinking about picking it for my turn in our book club. It sounded really interesting.
P.S. I miss you Courtney!!

Courtney said...

So far, I really like The Book Thief. There is some swearing in it though, which has been bothering me, but the story is really good.

Kelsi said...

Hey! John said you invited me to join your club (long distance of course)! I think I'm going to get a library card soon.

Kelsi said...

Also, we have a new family blog: johnandkelsigagnon.blogspot.com check it out!